Time of year
Late June to Late October
Minimum Fitness Level Easy - Light walking with a few climbs that are more challenging than a flight of stairs. Easy does it, however, if you have mobility issues, this activity, or all our packages, may not be appropriate for you (call us to discuss).
Discover extraordinary hikes with the support of a local guide. These hikes are a step above your ordinary walk in the park. The scenery is jaw dropping and the forests and rivers remain pristine. Options include: an easy stroll along the Tote Road for a glimpse into Bella Coola’s pioneering past; a moderate loop trail that follows in the footsteps of Sir Alexander Mackenzie on his epic crossing of Canada in 1793; or a vigorous and exercising climb up to elevation points to enjoy views of the valley, waterfalls and mountain views.
All tours are are led by one of our experienced local guides. They will share their interests in wildlife, geography, forest ecosystems and photography to ensure that the guest experience is truly memorable and well spent.
These eco tours involve approximately 2 hours of hiking on forest trails and tracks. The pace varies from moderate to vigorous walking based on the difficulty level of the trail and fitness level of the group.
- Who Should Book?
- This active adventure is designed for guests looking to explore the Great Bear Rainforest at a faster pace than the Guided Interpretive Nature Walks
- These shorter hikes are a great blend between active exercise and a knowledge building interpretative experience
- Safety & Mobility Considerations
- This activity requires a moderate level of physical fitness and stamina and is not appropriate for guests with mobility restrictions
- Trails are rated as easy to difficult and guests should be fit enough to hike up to 5 kms, at a moderate pace, up and down inclines on uneven root and rock covered terrain
- Guides are trained in Advanced Wilderness First Aid
- Minimum Age
- 4+ as part of a Private Group or 12+ as part of a Small Group
What to Bring
- Comfortable closed-toe trail or hiking shoes with plenty of support
- Comfortable layered clothing that is appropriate for variable weather conditions, wind protection, and possible rain
- A small backpack for snacks, fluids, and other important personal items
- A hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, and bug spray are highly recommended
- A camera to capture the experience
- Start - This activity begins at Tweedsmuir Park Lodge
- Before the tour, guests will be briefed on how to act and react to wildlife, and will learn the etiquette for exploring these unique and sensitive ecosystems
- Guests board one of our shuttles and transfer to one of three main trailheads:
- Tote Road Pioneer Trek - 10 min drive from the lodge · distance varies · flat walk along a historic pioneer trail · easy
- Burnt Bridge Loop - 10 min drive from the lodge · 5 kms with 200 m elevation gain · moderate
- Medby Rock lookout - 30 min drive from the lodge · 4 kms with 500 m elevation gain · difficult and more sustained climbing than the other hikes
- With the half day program guests should expect approx. 2 hours of walking at a slow pace and will return to the lodge for lunch (morning) or dinner (afternoon)
- With the full day program guests should expect approx. 5 hours of walking at a slow pace, and will enjoy lunch in the field or back at the lodge
- Along the way commentary and explanation is provided by the guide and there are opportunities to take photographs at various points of interest
Note: Guests should be encouraged to ask questions and to actively participate in discussions with the guide.
- End - This activity ends back at the trailhead where the hike began
- Guests board one of our shuttles for the drive back to Tweedsmuir Park Lodge
- Upon arrival back at the lodge, guests enjoy a delicious lunch (morning departures) or apres on the deck (afternoon departures) if they have purchased one of our all-inclusive packages
Note: Capacity is limited in each of our activities and we prioritize space for guests staying at the lodge. That being said, we occasionally have space for guests not staying at the lodge. If you will not be staying with us and would like to book this activity, please contact us by phone at 604-905-4994 or by email at [email protected].