Time of year
Late June to Mid October
Minimum Fitness Level Easy - Light walking with a few climbs that are more challenging than a flight of stairs. Easy does it, however, if you have mobility issues, this activity, or all our packages, may not be appropriate for you (call us to discuss).
The Rainbow Range hike is a 14 km round trip hike offering panoramic views of an eight-million-year-old peralkaline shield volcano. This hike has the advantage of starting at approximately 1400 metres of elevation. This allows guests to access trails above the treeline, in the open alpine, without first exhausting themselves climbing hundreds of feet/meters on a gnarly approach trail.
The day starts with a 45 minute drive up a switchbacking road affectionately referred to locally as simply “The Hill”. The elevation gain is 1400 metres up an escarpment separating the Bella Coola Valley from the Chilcotin Plateau.
The hiking trail begins by meandering through a burnt forest, then enters subalpine forests, winds past a couple of lakes, before topping out above tree line with views into the volcanic and multicolored peaks of the Rainbow Range. Highlights include abundant wildflowers, observing forest fire ecology, the option to go for a swim in the lake, the potential to spot marmot as well as wolf and moose tracks, and of course, the views from the top.
- Who Should Book?
- This exploratory adventure is designed for athletic guests looking for a longer and more strenuous option than the Guided Bella Coola Valley Hikes
- Guests participating in both a Guided Bella Coola Valley Hike and a Guided Hike in the Rainbow Range will benefit from being able to compare and contrast the stark differences between the lush Bella Coola Valley ecosystem with the dry desert-like ecosystem of the Chilcotin Plateau
- Guests interested in this activity should have some experience hiking in the backcountry and should be prepared for a full day of strenuous activity
Note: Mountain hikes can encounter rapidly changing weather and guests should be prepared.
- Safety & Mobility Considerations
- This activity requires a moderate to high level of physical fitness and is not appropriate for guests with mobility restrictions
- Trails are rated difficult and guests should to be prepared for 4 to 5 hours of hiking up and down steep inclines on uneven root and rock covered terrain
- Minimum Age
- 8+ as part of a Private Group or 12+ as part of a Small Group
Note: The minimum age for children in a private group is subject to the discretion of the parent(s) or legal guardian(s), based on the child’s fitness and maturity, and following consultation with the guide.
What to Bring
- Comfortable closed-toe trail or hiking shoes with plenty of support
- Comfortable layered clothing that is appropriate for variable weather conditions, wind protection, and possible rain
- A small backpack for snacks, fluids, and other important personal items
- A hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, and bug spray are highly recommended
- A camera to capture the experience
- Start - This activity begins at Tweedsmuir Park Lodge
- Guests board one of our shuttles and transfer approx. 45 minutes to the trailhead
- Prior to hiking guests are given an overview of what to expect on the hike and what to do if the group encounters wildlife
- Guests enjoy approx. 4 to 5 hours of hiking with a break for lunch at the halfway point
- Along the way commentary and explanation is provided by the guide and there are opportunities to take photographs at various points of interest
Note: Guests should be encouraged to ask questions and to actively participate in discussions with the guide.
- End - This activity ends back at the trailhead where the hike began
- Guests board one of our shuttles for an approx. 30 to 60 minute drive back to Tweedsmuir Park Lodge
- Upon arrival back at the lodge, guests enjoy a delicious apres on the deck if they have purchased one of our all-inclusive packages
Note: Capacity is limited in each of our activities and we prioritize space for guests staying at the lodge. That being said, we occasionally have space for guests not staying at the lodge. If you will not be staying with us and would like to book this activity, please contact us by phone at 604-905-4994 or by email at [email protected].