Free Activities at Tweedsmuir Park Lodge
Tweedsmuir Park Lodge may be remote, however, there are tons of activities for adults and kids alike! A 2 or 3 night visit isn’t enough to experience all that the Bella Coola Valley has to offer, therefore we recommend a stay of 4 or more nights, especially if you would like to see lots of bears and other wildlife.
- Wildlife & Grizzly Bear Viewing Platform - Spectacularly located on the banks of the pristine Atnarko River and only 200m from the lodge, the platform is for the exclusive use of our guests and affords fantastic views up and down the river where grizzly bears are often seen feeding on salmon in September and October.
- Spa - Large 12 person hot tub and first nations teepee sweat lodge
- Walks & Hikes - Old growth, scenic trails, both around the lodge property and at other points in the Valley
- Mountain Biking - We have a range of mountain bikes that guests may use for free. Recommended ride includes the Tote Road and for a minimal charge, we can organise a shuttle ride to the top of The Hill (the infamous Highway 20)
- Fishing - To increase your chances of catching a fish, we recommend hiring one of our knowledgeable, local guides. For more info, see our guided fly-fishing page. Note: we encourage "catch and release" and there is a minimal rental charge for rods and waders.
- Frisbee Golf Course - 18 holes, past the corral and into a beautiful old growth fir forest.
- Slack Line - test your balance on the slackline!
- Lawn Sports (croquet / bocce / soccer / football / frisbee / volleyball)
- Swimming - there are some classic swimming holes in the Atnarko River including a rope swing!
- Inner Tube Floating on the Atnarko River
- BC Parks Belarko Wildlife Viewing Paltform (entrance by donation)
- Private Tweedsmuir Park Lodge Bear Viewing Stand - for guests only! See our blog post here for details on the stand
- Pond Fishing & casting practice (from dock, especially great for kids. We have kid rods available. There's small trout in the pond)
- Icelandic Horse Rides - **Only for people on a Bella Coola Explorer or Grizzly Bear Safari packages where a Guided Walk or Guided Drift can be exchanged for a horse ride (assuming you are an intermediate rider or better and at the discretion of our Lodge Manager)
- Paintball - *COMING SOON *
- Archery - Borrow a bow from our Reception Desk (choose from Recurve or Long Bow styles). Guests will receive a short intro from our guides at our archery range. We have equipment suitable for ages 5 and up!
- Free Wi-Fi throughout all the chalets and the lodge
- Pool / billiards
- Foosball table
- Table hockey
- Gym - kick & boxing bag, weights & chin bar, stationary bikes, yoga balls & mats
- TV games (Wii)
- Table games - chess, cards & poker, backgammon, Trivia Pursuit
- Movies - big screen TV with surround-sound
- Books & literature
And then there are our signature programs:
- Grizzly Bear Viewing - Located in the Great Bear Rainforest, our award-wining tours enable guests to observe grizzlies from non-motorized, comfortable drift boats on the Atnarko river. In addition to the boats, our lodge is located very close to a Bear Viewing Platform run by BC Parks. This free-of-charge facility is only a 15 minute walk, or guests can use our free mountain bikes or a lodge member can do a drop off and pick up.
- Scenic River Drifts - As the McKenzie drift boats do not use a motor the silence offers the opportunity for viewing wildlife up close and personal (bears, eagles, fish, birds, wolves, deer etc)
- Heli Hiking - Our helicopter adventures are designed to accommodate many different levels of fitness and interest. From short leisurely walks to long strenuous hikes, where even ropes may be needed, each of our hikes has one goal in common. This goal is to expose our guests to wild and beautiful places that would otherwise be inaccessible.
- Guided Fly Fishing - Drifting down the Atnarko in our McKenzie river boats, we stop at all the best fishing holes along the way, fishing for King Salmon and Trout.
- Guided Nature Walks - Extraordinary walking tours in the Bella Coola Valley. From alpine to ocean, and old growth forest to volcano, these eco-escapes are ideal for all ages and abilities.
- Fjord Trips - Cruise the fjord and take in the magical scenery. Set prawn and crab traps, visit the ocean side hot springs, the giant cedar and the historic Tallheo Cannery…
- Valley Tours - Explore the local geography and the culture of the Nuxalk First Nations people. Stops can include the ancient petroglyphs, the harbour, and Walker Island Park……
- Bird Watching - Warblers, Ptarmigans, Water Dippers, Bald Eagles, Hummingbirds, Owls, Falcons, Hawks and Kingfishers can be spotted in and around the lodge and park…..