Rod & Ski Club (Fishing & Heli Skiing)
World Class Heli Skiing and Fishing On The Same Day!
Ski perfect velvety smooth spring corn-snow in the morning, then switch gear and fish for 15kg (50lbs) plus spring salmon in the afternoon.
- Fantastic bragging rights, world class skiing and fishing on the same day
- Helicopter accessed corn snow slopes with up to 3,000 foot descents
- Fish for 50lbs Spring Salmon while drifting the scenic Atnarko River
- Luxury accommodation at the Tweedsmuir Park Lodge in Private Chalets
- Experienced guides, both heliskiing and fishing, will help out every step of the way.
See what Mountain Life (Coast Mountains) Magazine said about their fly-fishing / heli-skiing trip! Click here: Fly-Fishing and Heli-Skiing article.
Our heli-skiing and heli-boarding terrain is the spectacular Coast Range glaciers and neve of the high Bella Coola mountains. Neve is the term used to describe the smooth surface found on snow slopes in the summer, and is the result of repeated melting and freezing. It is often referred to as “Hero Snow” because of how easy it is to ski and how good it makes you feel while skiing it. The runs are, on average, 3000 vertical feet (900 meters) long and groomed to perfection by nature. Simply put, we will follow the sun around to find the ideal conditions. So don't forget your sunscreen!
In the afternoon, we will be river fishing for the great Chinook Salmon (sometimes also known as Spring or King Salmon). These fish average in size from 25lbs (12kg) to 35lbs (16kg), but catching Salmon up to 50lbs (23kg) is not unusual. You will also have the opportunity to catch Rainbow Trout, Cutthroat Trout, and Dolly Varden with an average size of 2-4 lbs (1.5kg). The Bella Coola Valley is rightfully famous for its river fishing and compares favorably to internationally known rivers throughout BC and Alaska.
To fish we will be floating the Atnarko River in McKenzie Drift Boats. These boats are stable and offer a comfortable platform from which to cast as well as enjoy the stunning valley scenery. The fishing technique we use is plugging and casting with a plug, bait, and lures. Fly-fishing is possible but more challenging due to river depth, speed, and fish holding. But hey, it is really up to you and your technique. Many Chinook are taken annually on fly! All fishing equipment is included in your tour: waders, rods, reels, bait, plugs and lures. However please bring your own fishing equipment if you prefer or if you want to fly fish as we will not be supplying fly fishing gear. Just remember, big rods and reels are needed, fast sinking fly line and 20 + lb (8 kg +) line is recommended.
Preparation of fish for shipping is available locally. This can be by freezing the fish or smoking them. The daily per person quota is four Salmon and only one of those can be over 65 cm in length.
All guests are required to read and sign our Waiver of Liability.
Get More information
Rates & Dates
Booking and Reservations
Please contact us for availability and additional information. We will do our best to accommodate your requirments and desires. Our recommendation is to come between June 20th and July 20th for the best combination of good skiing and fishing, but later in the season or a bit earlier are also possible, so if other dates work better for you, drop us a line!
2015 & 2016 Pricing
- 3 nights - $6,280. Includes 20,000 vertical feet of skiing and 2 river floats
- 4 nights - $7,780. Includes 29,000 vertical feet of skiing and 3 river floats
- 5 nights - $9,280. Includes 38,000 vertical feet of skiing and 4 river floats
Minimum of 4 guests are required per week.
*Note: All prices are per person, based on double occupancy and are in Canadian Dollars (CAD) and do not include tax. Tax rates are 2.5% for International guests & 5% for Canadian residents.
- Flight from Vancouver to Bella Coola return
- River boat fishing
- Fishing License
- Accommodation in beautiful timber chalets at Tweedsmuir Park Lodge (based on double occupancy)
- All meals: Hot Buffet & Continental Breakfast, Lunch in the Lodge or Packed Lunch out in the field, 3 Course Dinner, plus Apres Ski Snacks and unlimited soda, coffee and tea!
- Certified heli-ski guides and professional fishing guide
- Fishing equipment
- Safety equipment
- Skis (but not ski boots)
- All ground transportation, including airport or ferry pick-up and drop-off!
- Single occupancy available at $115 extra p/n
What is not included:
- Extra Vertical - $54 per 1,000 vertical feet
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Fish processing and shipping costs
What to Bring
Below are a list of items that are required on our Rod & Ski Club trips.
- Ski boots and skiing gear (light weight)
- Shirt, fleece or sweater
- Fleece or knitted hat, baseball cap or sun hat
- Thin gloves
- Wind jacket and pants or thin rain gear
- Sunscreen and lip balm
- Camera with a large memory card for all those great shots
- Personal medication if applicable
Physical Requirements (Easy/Flexible )
This adventure travel opportunity does not require a high degree of physical fitness. However, it is necessary to be able to ski in a variety of snow conditions, and some short walks may be required should you wish to participate in every activity.