Bella Coola Explorer: With Helicopter Flights!
The Best of the Valley and the Great Bear Rainforest
In Bella Coola, the Coast Range mountains meet the Pacific Ocean and creates one of the most spectacular, yet isolated, wilderness areas on the planet. Long fjords, old growth forests, stunning peaks, vast glaciers and abundant wildlife. This is home to countless salmon, bald eagles and grizzly bears, all of which are totemic animals of the coastal native peoples, and is located in the unique and unspoiled expanse of wilderness know as the Great Bear Rainforest.
- Visit remote hideaways in the Great Bear Rainforest by helicopter!
- Hike and wander the stunning alpine grandeur of the Coast Range Mountains
- View and photograph wildlife while drifting the scenic Atnarko River in Tweedsmuir Provincial Park on a drift boat
- Fish the interlinking fjords of British Columbia’s central coast by boat
- Meet and hear storytellers, singers and drummers from the Nuxalk First Nations
Our Bella Coola Explorer trips are designed to encompass and introduce you to as much of this stunning environment as humanly possible. There is a day cruising the fjord exploring Coastal Bella Coola, a day hiking in the Coast Mountains admiring the high alpine, a day floating down the Atnarko River in Tweedsmuir Provincial Park, and a day in the air for an eagle’s eye view of this magical country. Yes, the schedule is certainly busy and ambitious, but then there is so much to see and do that you will want to spend every minute of your time in Bella Coola exploring this unique corner of the world.
All activities are hosted and led by qualified professionals with a wealth of local knowledge and stories. From trained naturalists, mountain guides, cheerful helicopter pilots, and salty boat captains, these people will make the day and terrain come alive with historical perspective and geographical context.
Join us for the best that Bella Coola has to offer. There is sure to be more adventure packed into these trips than you are likely to experience for the rest of the year.
Get more information
We can organize a custom stay for you, but recommend either our 3, 4, 5 or 7night program (see the suggested itineraries below). These trips have been designed to showcase some of the best Bella Coola has to offer and provide an excellent wilderness experience.
Rates & Dates
June 1 to June 27, 2013 - Early Season and Sept 27 to Oct 15, 2013 – Late Season
- 3 Night Bella Coola Explorer – $2,580 CAD Adult / $800 CAD Child
- 4 Night Bella Coola Explorer – $3,480 CAD Adult / $1,200 CAD Child
- 5 Night Bella Coola Explorer – $4,380 CAD Adult / $1,600 CAD Child
June 28 to Sept 26, 2013 – Peak Season
- 3 Night Bella Coola Explorer – $2,980 CAD Adult / $800 CAD Child
- 4 Night Bella Coola Explorer – $3,880 CAD Adult / $1,200 CAD Child
- 5 Night Bella Coola Explorer – $4,780 CAD Adult / $1,600 CAD Child
*Note: All prices are per person and in Canadian dollars (CAD). They do not include HST tax. Tax rates are 2.5% for International guests & 5% for Canadian residents.
Single Occupancy is available on request and is $115 CAD per night.
Please contact us for group rates and the various tour options available to you and your group.
In regards to our rates, children are 11 years old and under.
If you are flying to Bella Coola and would like us to book your flights, the rate is $600 CAD for a round-trip on Pacific Coastal Airlines. It is worth checking their website (http://pacific-coastal.com/) for yourself in case they are running a special.
- Accommodation at the Tweedsmuir Park Lodge based on Double Occupancy
- All meals: Hot Buffet & Continental Breakfast, Lunch in the Lodge or Packed Lunch out in the field, 3 Course Dinner, plus Afternoon Snacks and unlimited soda, coffee and tea!
- All activities described in the itinerary
- Experienced guides
- Entrance fees to parks
- All ground transportation, including airport or ferry pick-up and drop-off!
What to Bring
Below are a list of items that are required on our Bella Coola Explorer trips.
- Good, worn-in, low or medium cut hiking shoes are suitable for most hikes
- Small backpack for lunch, snacks, fluids and personal gear
- Comfortable pants
- Shirt, fleece or sweater
- Fleece or knitted hat, baseball cap or sun hat
- Thin gloves
- Change of socks
- Wind jacket and pants or thin rain gear
- 1 litre water bottle
- Sunscreen and lip balm
- Camera with a large memory card for all those great shots
- Personal medication if applicable
Physical Requirements (Easy/Flexible)
This adventure travel opportunity does not require a high degree of physical fitness although some short walks may be required should you wish to participate in every activity.